Thursday, October 2, 2008

effin eros

I did a silent fast yesterday. From sun up to sun down I didn't say a word. Well, actually I did. I broke it three times. But I think it's funny the things the Lord allows to happen when you make a choice not to talk. I guess it's just to see what you're made of. Not that He'd look down on you for breaking it... but anyways...



The weather here is amazing. It's bright and in the 60s. So since it's just so nice outside, I decided to walk from the prayer room to birchwood. As I was walking over there, some black guy in a black convertible pulls over and gets close to me.



"Hey, you wanna go to the Tina Turner concert tonight?"



Aside from being a little freaked out, I thought: "Seriously, do I look like someone who would even listen to Tina Turner?" So I awkwardly motioned "no" with my head.



"Are you sure? You'll be going for free with me" (as if that was going to make it more enticing)



::make a weird face to accompany the "no" I motion again::



I was a little scared because there was no traffic at the time and no bystanders to see me get whisked away by the masked murderer. But God's good and He took care.



Plenty of other uncomfortable situations occured throughout the day, but the most uncomfortable was just the stare that you get from others.

Some stare in amazement ("Wow! I could never do that!")

Some stare in wonder ("So, have you broken it? How long will you be quiet for?")

And others don't want to talk to you and make you accidentally break your fast

so they just stare. and smile. and stare some more.

I liken the feeling as to an animal in a zoo. Because all you can do is stare as well.



So Yeah. I broke it three times. The first time I broke it by speaking in tongues at the prayer room. The third time I broke it by singing a line from a Peter Bjorn song. But the second time was kind of funny.



I've been battling a cold recently, and it looks like it's almost dead. Except yesterday I started sneezing a bit so I decided to take some medicine. Before I took it though, I looked in the mirror and to the sickness said "I'm gonna kick you in the booty."



I dropped my mouth in awe because I couldn't believe that the word "booty" even escaped my lips. But thinking about it later, I laughed because I realized that the one time I really broke my fast it wasn't in talking to a friend or a roommate but it was in talking to myself.



so i don't know which of the two was worse

2 comments:

Adriana said...

You turned down Tina Turner!!!! D:

Haha jk

AmErika said...

wow.
tina turner is still alive??!
Dang. who would've known. =p

I'm glad your mom taught you to stay away from strangers.
Good girl :)