I've noticed the phases in my life recently. If you would have asked me a couple of months ago I would have said I was the same Sylvia... good with consistancy. For the most part I still think I am, but there are little things that have obviously changed - my wardrobe being one.
Early middle school Sylvia was the image of what every teacher thought a sixth grader should dress like. That meant a lot of visits to Sears and JC Penney come August. I remember one time a teacher (who was also my girl scouts leader at the time) made me stand up in front of the class to show that my shorts were the appropriate length above the knee. Yes, I was "appropriate length" girl. Very modest and painfully shy.
Once eighth grade started, Herby introduced me into a little band called Anti-Flag. I was so desperate to change into something more "look at me" that I went headfirst into the political punk look. I wish I could post pictures... they are a doozey. I had the works: patches, safety pins, band pins, raccooon eye makeup. You name it, I wore it. So obviously dressing like that introduces you to new friends, and new friends introduce you to different scenes.
"High School" Sylvia was a really big Fat Wreck Chords / NOFX kind-of-gal. That's where I started straying from the cliche and made things my own. Fascinations with hair dye and Chuck Taylors ran rampant and they have yet to die down in my heart.
I don't really know where I am now. I invite anyone to take a swing and describe my clothes now, whether you like them or not. I don't care. Something I've been pondering a lot recently, though, is that everyone is a cliche. Clothes are something we desperately use to "define" us and make us "different", but no matter how hard we try there is always a John Doe out there who looks exactly like you. I've found at least two here in Kansas City. Either your the "girly feminine" one, or the "artsy indie" one, or whatever (you catch my drift).
Point is clothes don't make you. I'm wanting the "punk" in me to die down. I kind of just want the Jesus in me to define.
xwast3d: thaflowstate: IG: Wahbisn xx
7 years ago
6 comments:
hmmm...when I look at you...
I say...."Jesus" with a heart of gold :)
&...my soon to be new roomie! heck yes people...eat your hearts out. She's all mine ;)
You are a beautiful Jesus Freak.
and I don't think there is anything wrong with the way you dress yourself. But luckily for all of us, Jesus doesn't judge a girl by her dirty converse. :]
Don't let the punk in you die. Always question authority! But do let the fashion punk in you die if that's what you want.
I like fashion. Its the easiest way to communicate who you are. And accessible to anyone who wants to express themselves.
up until middle skewl, believe it or not I was the teachers pet, with polo shirts and khaki shorts....not to mention the comb over. I think I have proof...
then highskewl came around and went not total goth, but still in the scene. It was more the brotherhood of it that enticed me I saw later.
I see it now all as a settling wave length....it stated off wobbling far left and deep right only to settle on who you are sooner than later.....
Though I dabble in the over eccentric at times, I ultimately settle in my minimalistic nature~
You can't mention comb overs and khakis and not give pictures.
i MUST see little morris with a comb-over
PS I couldn't agree more with your comment about being way to the left and then steering too right before finding the happy medium
i love you! (:
you're the best. (:
Post a Comment